RN to BSN
In accordance with the Iowa Articulation Plan for Nursing Education: RN to Baccalaureate, Mount Mercy offers the RN to BSN Completion Program tailored for RNs who are interested in returning to college for a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing (BSN). The program is designed to include the granting of credit for past learning and consideration of the needs of adult learners. Applicants must hold a current and valid RN license.
Objectives established for students in this major include, among others: respect and value the dignity of human life; appropriately implement selected nursing interventions; and integrate knowledge derived from liberal arts, science and nursing in professional nursing practice.
Admission to the RN to BSN Program
Applicants to the RN to BSN program must meet the following admission criteria:
- Hold an Associate’s Degree or Diploma in nursing from a regionally accredited college or an equivalent degree from an accredited institution outside of the United States.
- Hold a current and active RN license.
- Submit a copy of current nursing license.
- Nursing courses with a clinical component may not be taken by a person: a) who has been denied licensure by the Board; b) whose license is currently suspended, surrendered or revoked in any U.S. jurisdiction; c) whose license/registration is currently suspended, surrendered or revoked in another country due to disciplinary action.
- Currently working at least part time as a nurse.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.70 or higher for transferable college credit.
- Official transcripts from all previously attended schools must be submitted to Mount Mercy University
- Complete a background check done by a third party company selected by the Department of Nursing. Any concerns will require a meeting with the program director.
- Complete a health examination by a physician or nurse practitioner (within the past two years), receive and/or update the recommended immunization. (Forms for filing this information should be requested from the Department of Nursing prior to the physical examination).
- Show proof of current certification for Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) from the American Heart Association.
- Show proof of health insurance coverage.
- Show proof of nursing liability insurance coverage (beyond coverage provided by your employer).
RS to BSN Major
For RN to BSN students entering Mount Mercy in the Fall of 2015 and later: Admission to the major plus:
|NU 242||Concepts in Baccalaureate Nursing Education||4|
|NU 425||Pathophysiology, Assessment & Genetics RNs||3|
|NU 470||Population Based Nursing||3|
|NU 471||Professional Aspects of Nursing||4|
|NU 472||RN-BSN Practicum Seminar||3|
Students must maintain a C or above (C- does not count) in all nursing courses, and maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.00.